IN HIS OWN WORDS:
(About his return to Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing): “I am extremely happy to be back with Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing. Bobby, Dave and Mike have always been very supportive of me. The team has been ultra-competitive the past few seasons. I can’t wait to be a part of it in 2018. I think we can achieve some great things together!”
- Won 101st Indianapolis 500 for Andretti Autosport, outdueling Helio Castroneves for the win and erasing memories of the 2012 Indianapolis 500, when he spun and crashed trying to pass Dario Franchitti on the final lap.
- Re-joins Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing, with whom he raced in 2012, after spending the last season racing at Andretti Autosport.
- Ex-Formula 1 racer became the first Japanese driver to win an Indy car race (Long Beach, 2013).
- His breathtaking pass of Fernando Alonso at Montreal in 2007 earned him the "Overtake of the Year"
award from F1 Racing magazine.
- Was a national high school cycling champion and still uses cycling as his primary training regimen.
- Fell in love with motorsports at 10 when he attended the Formula One race in Suzuka, Japan.
- Has developed a passion for golf after attending several sponsor golf outings. He now has a set
of custom clubs.