IN HIS OWN WORDS
(About competing on ovals and at Indianapolis): "The Indianapolis 500 every year is the highlight of my racing professional season. If I'm fortunate enough to qualify, this will be my 14th, which I'm very proud of. Every year I add on, the list gets smaller of guys that have done that many. Every year we've been here, we've had competitive situations. We're getting better and closer on figuring out how to win the race."
- Two-time Indianapolis 500 pole winner.
- Oval-track specialist whose three career wins have all come on ovals; scheduled to drive the six ovals on the 2018 Verizon IndyCar Series schedule.
- Won the first Indy Lights race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the 2003 Freedom 100.
- Co-owner of Ed Carpenter Racing along with Tony George and Stuart Reed. Is the only owner/driver competing in INDYCAR.
- Graduated from Butler University in Indianapolis and has been featured in the university’s advertising campaign.
- Is a fan of the Butler Bulldogs men’s basketball team, the NBA’s Indiana Pacers and NFL’s Indianapolis Colts.