Multiyear Extension To Include New, Official Fuel Designation for NTT INDYCAR SERIES
Equilon Enterprises LLC (d/b/a Shell Oil Products US) and Pennzoil-Quaker State Company announced today a multiyear extension and expansion of their sponsorship agreement with the NTT INDYCAR SERIES, Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) and Team Penske. Building on a longtime business relationship and technical alliance that began in motorsports and has extended well beyond the track, the agreement will feature exciting new opportunities between industry-leading organizations, beginning in 2023.
The agreement includes engagement across all Penske Entertainment and Team Penske platforms:
- Beginning in 2023, Shell will become the Official Fuel of the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and IMS. Additional details regarding the Official Fuel designation for INDYCAR will be announced soon.
- Shell-Pennzoil will continue its sponsorship of Team Penske’s winning INDYCAR and NASCAR programs.
- Shell and Pennzoil also will be primary sponsors for two of Team Penske’s entries in the Indianapolis 500-Mile Race. Two-time NTT INDYCAR SERIES champion Josef Newgarden will race the No. 2 Shell V-Power Chevrolet, and Scott McLaughlin will compete in the No. 3 Pennzoil Chevrolet at IMS.
- Pennzoil will extend its sponsorship as the Official Motor Oil and Lubricant Supplier of the IMS, INDYCAR and the NTT INDYCAR SERIES.
- Pennzoil will continue to sponsor the Pennzoil 150 at the Brickyard NASCAR Xfinity Series race in July at IMS.
- Shell and Pennzoil will continue to serve as the preferred fuel and lubricant supplier for Penske Transportation Solutions and Penske Automotive Group.
“We are proud of the global business relationship with Shell and Pennzoil that extends across our Penske companies,” Roger Penske said. “Over the years, we have experienced great success together on the track, and the relationship has evolved to include our transportation business operations all over the world. Our teams are also working with Shell and Pennzoil on product development and multiple sustainability initiatives to help keep us focused on the future.”
“For more than 100 years, Shell has been forging long-lasting relationships that extend beyond the brand and products the company produces,” said Steve Reindl, president, Shell Lubricants Americas. “Our relationship with Penske continues to evolve, both commercially and in motorsport, giving Shell and Penske a vast platform to pursue our respective sustainability and decarbonization goals.”
Shell-Pennzoil and Team Penske reunited in 2011, building on a racing legacy that was established in the 1980s. Pennzoil first aligned with Team Penske as a sponsor of its INDYCAR SERIES program in 1983 and won two Indianapolis 500 races (1984, 1988) with driver Rick Mears.
Pennzoil became the Official Motor Oil and Lubricant Sponsor of INDYCAR and the NTT INDYCAR SERIES in 2021 and has continued to expand the relationship, including today’s announcement of Shell becoming the Official Fuel of INDYCAR and the NTT INDYCAR SERIES beginning in 2023.
“This new and significant step forward in our relationship with both the Shell and Pennzoil brands is tremendous news for our entire series, our storied venue and our legion of racing fans across the globe,” Penske Entertainment Corp. President & CEO Mark Miles said. “Shell will be a terrific fuel sponsor for INDYCAR, helping us maintain our world-class standards on track while always keeping an eye on the future. When it comes to our historic and exciting Brickyard Weekend, we know the team at Pennzoil will continue to invest in its growth and success here in Central Indiana and beyond.”