IN HIS OWN WORDS:
(On his motivation to rebound after a difficult 2016): "I'm always so motivated, no matter what, when I get in the race car. That's how I've always been my whole career just because I've always had to get in and prove myself to keep my ride."
- The most successful active American driver in open-wheel competition; 2012 Verizon IndyCar Series champion and 2014 Indianapolis 500 winner
- 2007 Verizon IndyCar Series and 2008 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year
- The only American driver to record wins in the Verizon IndyCar Series, CART, Champ Car, American Le Mans Series and Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series.
- Races car No. 28 to represent the 28 million people living with cancer worldwide.
- Won the ESPY Best Driver Award two consecutive years: 2013, 2014
- Co-founded Racing for Cancer charity in honor of his mother, who died of colon cancer in 2009, and along with his wife, Beccy, co-hosts “Yellow Party” fundraising events at several Verizon IndyCar Series races each year.
- Loves deep-sea fishing, scuba diving, free diving and spearfishing
- Father-in-law, Bob Gordon, was an off-road racing legend and brother-in-law, Robby Gordon, is one of the most versatile racers of his generation. Robby, a former Indy car and NASCAR driver, is founder and current driver in the Stadium SUPER Trucks series.
- Was born in Dallas but considers himself a native Floridian.