At some point, it’s likely every fan of the Verizon IndyCar Series has dreamed about being behind the wheel of a sleek open-wheel race car, driving in the Indianapolis 500, on the streets of Long Beach or on road courses like Sonoma Raceway or Road America.
With the revamped and expanded INDYCAR Mobile app, fans can feel like they are indeed in the cockpit, taken closer to the action than they’ve been before. App users can get a real-time experience that puts them virtually in the driver’s seat as they picture themselves being Will Power, Scott Dixon, Juan Pablo Montoya, Marco Andretti or other INDYCAR stars.
The 2016 edition of the INDYCAR Mobile app, developed by Verizon, gives fans all the tools they need to experience every race, every turn, every pass and every win in a new exciting dimension.
“From an INDYCAR perspective, fan feedback is key to making improvements to the app experience,” said Gopi Sapra, manager of new product technology for Verizon. “This race season, features were added to engage fans even more. As an example, race fans can view all race schedules in their mobile device time zone instead of Eastern Time. We are constantly looking for ways to incorporate new technology in the mobile app.”
At the heart of the 2016 version of the INDYCAR Mobile app is Verizon’s LTE Multicast technology, which is broadcasting content over a dedicated long-term evolution (LTE) bandwidth. This one-to-many streaming method provides a unique live video experience with no buffering or lag time. The INDYCAR Mobile app contains two unique on-track and TV linear multicast video streams only available at the race venue and to Verizon customers.
“The extra value we create every race season is how we introduce new technologies like LTE Multicast,” said Arvind Basra, manager of new product technology for Verizon. “Multicast could enable potential future services such as virtual reality.”
While the INDYCAR Mobile app was especially designed for Verizon mobile customers, many of its features are accessible on other carriers and now internationally. The app is available on smartphones and tablets on iOS and Android platforms.
In addition, numerous other features give INDYCAR fans the most expansive viewing experience and engagement found. Among features exclusive to Verizon Wireless customers are:
- An enhanced real-time leaderboard and car telemetry;
- The ability to follow the race in real time with the Interactive 3D track;
- Live in-car camera video streaming for select drivers during Verizon IndyCar Series races;
- Live driver and pit crew radio transmissions during races;
- Live Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network audio streaming during all track activities.
In addition, mobile device customers on all carriers receive:
- A real-time leaderboard with running order;
- A championship “points-as-they-run” leaderboard;
- Optional notification alerts when Verizon IndyCar Series races start and end, and for breaking news;
- Current track weather and the forecast;
- Favorite driver and team selection for quicker access to follow;
- Exclusive video-on-demand race highlights, driver interviews, INDYCAR 101 & technologies, historical race footage and more;
- Breaking news and photo galleries;
- Standings, race results, schedule and race extras such as high-resolution track map images and spotter guides;
- Driver and team profiles;
- INDYCAR-related social media feeds.
In addition, fans can enjoy updated graphics, a streamlined navigation menu, a race schedule that can be imported to mobile calendars, podcasts from Trackside INDYCAR Media and INDYCAR Radio and access to the #INDYRIVALS Fantasy Challenge driven by Firestone to enhance the race action and excitement.
“The Verizon IndyCar Series has a large global audience and, thanks to our partners at Verizon, those fans are now able to get even closer to the action with the INDYCAR Mobile App,” said Mark Miles, CEO of Hulman & Co. (the parent of INDYCAR and Indianapolis Motor Speedway). “We’re eager for our fans around the globe to experience the benefits of following Verizon IndyCar Series action with the INDYCAR Mobile App.”
To download the INDYCAR Mobile App, go to the applications store on your smartphone device or visit http://www.verizonwireless.com/mobile-living/inside/indycar/.