IN HIS OWN WORDS:
(About returning as a full-time driver in 2017): "It's
definitely a different level of commitment but something that I've been used to before, and … being up to
speed basically on kind of what the team has done, how they do things, personnel, all that kind of stuff; you
know, it feels like a pretty easy transition to be making."
- 2017 will be his eighth season competing in the Verizon IndyCar Series, but only his third as a full-time driver. Has raced part time for Ed Carpenter Racing the last three seasons.
- Was 2011 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year, following a dramatic runner-up finished in the 100th Anniversary of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing.
- Was 2009 Indy Lights champion, topping drivers including fellow Verizon IndyCar Series drivers James Hinchcliffe and Charlie Kimball.
- Loves classic cars and car culture; owns a 1960 pink Cadillac Coupe de Ville that he named Rosie.
- Married longtime girlfriend Kristin Paine in the 2016 offseason.
- Played varsity baseball in high school, and is a die-hard fan of the San Francisco Giants and Golden State Warriors.
- Enjoys running, boxing, mountain biking, playing most sports, drifting and having fun.
- Was a National Merit Scholar at Redwood High School in Larkspur, Calif., and was accepted into an engineering program at MIT before deciding to pursue racing.
- Involved in various educational projects, including serving as an adjunct lecturer’s at Stanford University’s vehicular dynamics program.