Fernando Alonso will test an Indy car Wednesday at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, Alabama, but the two-time Formula 1 champion said it will not be a factor in deciding where he races next season.
“I like to test all kinds of cars,” Alonso told reporters at the Italian Grand Prix. “Last year Andretti wanted me to test the car with a road track configuration. We had no time, and this year we have the chance, but it’s not a key day ahead of next year to decide whether I do it (IndyCar) or not. It’s just a test to have a bit of fun and to see what the cars are like with a normal configuration.”
Alonso led 27 laps in the 2017 Indianapolis 500 in a car fielded by Michael Andretti’s team.
“But my decision for next year will not be based on Wednesday,” he said. “On Thursday I won’t have a clearer picture. More or less I have everything decided in my head.”
The Barber test will be closed to the public and media.