Chevrolet Dual in Detroit presented by Quicken Loans
• What: Races 7 and 8 of the Verizon IndyCar Series schedule. It is the only doubleheader on the 2015 schedule. … Team Penske swept the two races in 2014, with Will Power winning Race 1 (teammate Helio Castroneves starting from pole; Graham Rahal finishing second) and Castroneves winning Race 2 (Takuma Sato starting from pole; Power finishing second).
• Entry list: 23 cars entered
• Twitter: @DetroitGP @IndyCar, #DetroitGP, #IndyCar
• Tickets and information: www.DetroitGP.com
• INDYCAR website: www.IndyCar.com
At-track schedule (all times Eastern):
10:35-11:50 a.m. – Verizon IndyCar Series practice
3:40-4:55 p.m. – Three rounds of Verizon IndyCar Series knockout qualifications
8:55-9:25 a.m. – Verizon IndyCar Series practice
3:50 p.m. – Chevrolet Dual in Detroit 1 green flag
10:20 a.m. – Systems check
11:25-11:55 a.m. – Verizon IndyCar Series group qualifications, two groups, 12 minutes each
3:50 p.m. – Chevrolet Dual in Detroit 2 green flag
• TV: ABC will telecast both races beginning at 3:30 p.m. (ET) May 30 and 31. Allen Bestwick is the lead announcer for ESPN on ABC alongside analysts Scott Goodyear and Eddie Cheever Jr. Rick DeBruhl, Dr. Jerry Punch and Jon Beekhuis are the pit reporters.
• Web: Streaming video of practice sessions and qualifications for both races will be available on RaceControl.IndyCar.com and augmented by real-time Timing & Scoring and the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network broadcasts. … Timing & Scoring and the radio broadcasts are available for the races.
• Radio: Paul Page is the chief announcer alongside analyst Davey Hamilton. Qualifying and all Verizon IndyCar Series races are broadcast live on the Advance Auto Parts INDYCAR Radio Network, Sirius 212, XM 209, IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and on the INDYCAR 15 app. Verizon IndyCar Series practice sessions are available on IndyCar.com, indycarradio.com and the INDYCAR 15 app.
• INDYCAR 15 app: The Verizon INDYCAR 15 app has been enhanced with new features to keep fans in the know of the latest race-day action. Exclusive features of the INDYCAR 15 app for Verizon Wireless customers will stream live through the app and include interactive 3D Live View with real-time leaderboard and car telemetry to see where a fan’s favorite driver is positioned, leaderboard with enhanced 2D marching ants and car telemetry, in-car camera video streams from cameras that move 360 degrees and driver-pit crew chatter as drivers talk strategy with their pit crews during the race. Download it HERE.
Course: 2.35-mile, 14-turn temporary street course (clockwise race direction)
Distance: 70 laps / 164.5 miles (both races)
Push-to-pass parameters: 10 activations for 15 seconds each (both races)
Firestone tire allotment: Eight sets primary, three sets alternate for the race weekend
Fuel allotment: 60 gallons for practice, qualifications and 60 gallons for each race
Pit box size: 38 feet x 18 feet
• 2014 Verizon P1 Award winners: Helio Castroneves (Race 1) 1 minute, 17.5362 seconds (109.11 mph); Takuma Sato (Race 2) 1 minute, 16.1371 seconds (111.115 mph)
• Qualifying lap record: Takuma Sato 1:16.1371 (111.115 mph), June 1, 2014
• Doubleheader qualifying: Three rounds of knockout qualifying for Race 1, including the Firestone Fast Six that determines the Verizon P1 Award for the pole position. For Race 2, all cars will participate in one of two groups for 12 minutes each. The Verizon P1 Award will be awarded to the best overall lap time in the qualifying sessions. The remainder of the cars in the same group as the Verizon P1 Award winner will be ranked in the odd-numbered race starting positions based on fastest lap times. Even-numbered starting positions will be determined from the other group based on fastest lap times. ... The results of the first practice will set the qualifying groups both days.
• Of note: May 29 will be Comerica Bank FREE Prix Day – gate admission and access to the Fifth Third Bank Paddock is free of charge. … A Verizon IndyCar Series driver autograph session will be held from 10:15-11:15 a.m. May 30 in the INDYCAR Fan Village. … Racing at Belle Isle Park dates to 1992, when the first temporary course was constructed for a CART race. Bobby Rahal was the winner. … The Raceway at Belle Isle Park hosted two Verizon IndyCar races on the same weekend for the first time in 2013. It was also the inaugural doubleheader weekend in series history. … Six drivers will race at Belle Isle for the first time (Gabby Chaves, Stefano Coletti, Conor Daly, Luca Filippi, Rodolfo Gonzalez and Sage Karam). ... The Chevrolet Corvette Z06 will be the pace car, driven by two-time Indianapolis 500 winner Arie Luyendyk. ... Jenna Irene, 2014 “American Idol” runner-up, will perform the U.S. national anthem and Kendrick Hardaway, lead singer of The Infatuations, will perform the Canadian national anthem before Race 1. … Following Race 1, 3 Doors Down performs in concert. … At 1:15 p.m. May 31, Smashmouth performs in concert. … Shay Lewis will perform the Canadian national anthem and Jeff Gutt, 2013 “The X-Factor” runner-up, will perform the U.S. national anthem before Race 2. ... Infrastructure improvements made to course READ.
• He said it: "Detroit is a very similar place to St. Pete and obviously with it being a doubleheader it’s a huge weekend for the championship. We are right on Helio's (Castroneves) heels in fifth place in the point standings and just a couple of points behind (Scott) Dixon. You have to be smart, patient and let it come to you. I think we did that pretty well last year and this year we're going to have to do even better."
-- Graham Rahal, driver of the No. 15 Steak 'n Shake Honda for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing