After racing in the Formula 3 Euro Series in 2007 and 2008, James Jakes made his GP2 debut in the 2008-09 Asia Series, racing for Super Nova.
He sat out most of the 2009 season, returning to the Super Nova team for the opening round of the 2009-10 Asia Series. He raced for Manor in the 2010 GP3 Series, finishing eighth in the standings, despite missing four races because of injury.
Made IZOD IndyCar Series debut in 2011 with Dale Coyne Racing and is competing for Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing in 2013.
IZOD INDYCAR SERIES HIGHLIGHTS
First start: March 27, 2011 (St. Petersburg)
• Finished 22nd in IZOD IndyCar Series standings for Dale Coyne Racing.
• Recorded two top-10 finishes, with best of eighth at Toronto after starting 24th.
• Competed in 16 races for Dale Coyne Racing, with a best finish of 13th at Motegi.
• Started season-high eighth at Motegi.
• Placed 15th four times in his initial seven races.
ROAD TO THE IZOD INDYCAR SERIES
• Competed in two rounds of GP2 Asia Series.
• Finished eighth in GP3 Series, scoring three podium finishes.
• Competed in two rounds of GP2 Series.
• Competed in two races in GP2 Asia Series in 2009-10 season, with a best finish of third.
• Finished 13th in the Formula 3 Euro Series, with one victory and one pole.
• Competed in GP2 Asia Series in 2008-09 season, with best finish of third.
• Finished fifth in the Formula 3 Euro Series, with one victory and one pole.
• Finished eighth in British Formula 3 Championship, with one podium finish.
• Competed in four Formula 3 Euro Series races.
• Finished third in the British Formula Renault Championship, with seven podium finishes and two poles.
• Competed in four races of Netherlands Formula Renault Championship.
• Competed in two races of British Formula 3 Championship.
• Named BRDC Ring Star and was nominated for Autosport BRDC award.
• Finished 12th in British Formula Renault Championship.
• Finished 13th in Formula Renault Eurocup.
• Started racing career in 2002 by competing in five rounds of the T-Car Championship.