Four-time IZOD IndyCar Series champion Dario Franchitti said he started watching James Bond movies as a child and always loved the Aston Martin DB5 that the title character drove. The car is included in the newest Bond feature film "Skyfall."
"I can remember the cars, the girls, the exotic locations, the gadgets and the great action. What's not to love?" Franchitti told ESPN's Playbook. "Every Christmas growing up in Scotland, they had a tradition of showing one Bond film each year, and I ended up taping them on the family VCR. I still have the whole collection, commercial breaks and all!"
Click it: Photo gallery of cars | Franchitti talks about his favorite Bond
Franchitti gave Playbook his thoughts on his favorite Bond cars:
1. Aston Martin DB 5 (Goldfinger, Thunderball, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, Casino Royale, Skyfall)
Comment: "The iconic Bond car. Not much else to say, really. Stunning!"
2. Lotus Esprit S1 (The Spy Who Loved Me)
Comment: "Who doesn't want a car that turns into a submarine?"
3. Aston Martin DBS V12 (Casino Royale, Quantum of Solace)
Comment: "Beautiful car with a great motor in it. I hope it's a company car or the depreciation will be a nightmare for Bond!"
4. Mercury Cougar XR7 (On Her Majesty's Secret Service)
Comment: "Looks great with French license plates. I loved the car chase through the Alps and then onto the ice racing track with the old period rally cars."
5. Toyota 2000 GT convertible (You Only Live Twice)
Comment: "I think only two were ever made. Sean Connery couldn't fit in the normal coupe version! It was a stunning-looking car."
6. 1937 Rolls-Royce Phantom III (Goldfinger)
Comment: "Well, it is made of gold!"
7. AMC Hornet (The Man With The Golden Gun)
Comment: "Probably a crap car, but the 360-degree loop over the broken bridge is a classic Bond stunt."
8. Mercedes 600 Pullman (Octopussy)
Comment: "It was only in the film for a couple of seconds and it was the bad guy's car, but I've always loved these."
9. Rickshaw with a big motor (Octopussy)
Comment: "Typical mad gadget of Bond in the '80s. I loved it!"
10. Lotus Esprit Turbo (For Your Eyes Only)
Comment: "It got blown up very early, but then a new one appeared looking very cool with skis on the back. I'll bet the traction in the snow was crap with those low-profile Goodyears on it!"