Carlos Huertas is the latest driver from Colombia to race in the Verizon IndyCar Series.
The native of Bogota has spent the most of his racing career in Europe racing and winning on some of the most storied racetracks. He has wins at Motorland Aragon (Formula Renault 3.5), Silverstone (British Formula 3 International) and Surfers Paradise in Australia (F3).
Early in his career, Huertas raced for Raikkonen Robertson Racing, which was fielded by Formula 1 standout Kimi Raikkonen and former Indy Lights champion Steve Robertson. As he opens a new chapter in his career in North America, he has linked up with Dale Coyne Racing.
VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES HIGLIGHTS
First start: March 30, 2014 (St. Petersburg)
First victory: June 28, 2014 (Houston 1)
ROAD TO THE VERIZON INDYCAR SERIES
• Finished 14th in Formula Renault 3.5 standings for Carlin, scoring his first win at Motorland Aragon.
• Finished 16th in Formula Renault 3.5 standings for Fortec Motorsports with best finish of sixth at Moscow.
• Finished third in British Formula 3 International Series standings for Carlin with a win in season finale at Silverstone and seven additional podium finishes.
• Competed in F3 International Trophy, the F3 Euro Series round at Hockenheim, the Macau Grand Prix and Masters of F3 at Zandvoort.
• Finished 10th in the British Formula 3 International Series standings with a best finish of second at Brands Hatch and Silverstone.
• Competed in the Macau Grand Prix.
• Finished seventh in the British Formula 3 International Series standings, scoring back-to-back podium finishes at Algarve.
• Competed in the Macau Grand Prix and Masters of F3 at Zandvoort.
• Finished ninth in Formula BMW Europe standings with a best finish of second at Monza-1 after starting from pole position.
• Competed in Nikon Indy 300 Australian F3 Challenge at Surfers Paradise, winning first race of the doubleheader in the national class from pole.
• Finished 13th in Formula BMW UK for Raikkonen Robertson Racing with best finish of sixth at Oulton Park.
• Finished fifth in the Formula BMW World Final at Valencia in Spain.
Early career: Competed in go-karting events in South America and his native Colombia.