A wealth of racing and other memorabilia has been added to the eBay online auction benefiting the Wilson Children’s Fund.
Items available for bid include donations from Formula One, NASCAR, sports car and Global Rallycross drivers and teams, the USA Soccer men’s national team, National Football League players and the entertainment world, as well as additional items submitted by Verizon IndyCar Series drivers and teams.
To view the current list of items for bid, go to http://stores.ebay.com/Celebrity-Charity-Auctions/Justin-Wilson-Memorial.
All proceeds from the auction go to the fund for the family of Verizon IndyCar Series driver Justin Wilson, who died Aug. 24 after suffering a head injury in a race the day before. The first group of auction items consisted of signed racing helmets donated by 19 Verizon IndyCar Series drivers and racing legend Mario Andretti. The helmet worn by 2015 series champion Scott Dixon went for more than $18,000 when its auction concluded Sept. 22. The remaining helmets are available for bidding through 9 p.m. ET Sept. 24.
The new group of auction items, 78 items in all, is available for bidding through the evening of Sept. 28. Among the highlight items, by category, are:
- Formula One: Fernando Alonzo’s race-worn firesuit, shoes and gloves from the 2015 Austrian Grand Prix, Jenson Button’s race-worn helmet and Daniel Ricciardo’s race-worn firesuit;
- NASCAR: autographed firesuits, hats, gloves, visors and more from the likes of Jeff Gordon, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Jimmie Johnson, Brad Keselowski, Michael Waltrip and many others;
- Sports cars: the firesuit worn by race winner Jordan Taylor at this year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans;
- USA Soccer: jerseys signed by recently retired Landon Donovan, goalkeeper Brad Guzan and one signed by the entire men’s national team;
- NFL: footballs signed by Hall of Famer Walter Payton and Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, and a jersey signed by Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten;
- Entertainment: a Roger Daltrey-autographed microphone used at The Who’s concert this year at the Glastonbury Festival; a framed 1982 Hall & Oates “Private Eyes” Australian gold record, signed by John Oates; and a 14-by-11 “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” movie reprint photo signed by the late Paul Newman;
- Verizon IndyCar Series: the racing helmet used by Stefan Wilson when he drove as a teammate to brother Justin at Baltimore in 2013; helmets worn by Will Power, Pippa Mann, Tristan Vautier, Sarah Fisher, Stefano Coletti and Carlos Huertas; a Marco Andretti race-worn firesuit; one-of-a-kind, signed San Francisco Giants baseball jerseys with the last names and car numbers of 2015 championship contenders Scott Dixon, Juan Pablo Montoya, Graham Rahal, Helio Castroneves and Josef Newgarden embroidered on the back; and a Giants baseball jersey with “Wilson” and “25” on the back to represent Justin’s car number, signed by all the drivers who competed in the season-ending GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma.
“We’ve had a great response for the first batch of items,” said Rahal, who has spearheaded the auction effort through eBay, Auction Cause and the Graham Rahal Foundation. “The helmets all went through the roof and, Monday night, we had a great bunch of new items go up. … There’s a lot of ball caps and items from The Who, UFC, footballs, hockey stuff. People need to take another look and see what they can find.
“It’s going good. I’m proud of the effort that everybody has put in and can’t thank everyone enough for getting us this far down the road.”
Fans can sell their own Wilson-related items on eBay and designate the Graham Rahal Foundation as their chosen charity, with proceeds also donated to the Wilson Children’s Fund.
Additionally, a limited edition reproduction of 50 signed and numbered prints of noted artist Bill Patterson’s original work depicting Wilson’s final Indy car victory at Texas Motor Speedway in 2012 – painted live Aug. 31 at the Verizon IndyCar Series Championship Celebration – are available at http://billpatterson.com/justin-wilson-memorial-print, with $100 of each print sold contributed to the fund.
Tribute T-shirts are available at http://shop.ims.com/indycar/drivers/justin-wilson/, with proceeds also directed to the fund.
Contributions can be made directly to the fund at http://justinwilson.co.uk/donate or by mail to: Wilson Children’s Fund, c/o Forum Credit Union, PO Box 50738, Indianapolis, IN 46250-0738.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will host "Celebrating the Life of Justin Wilson," to honor Wilson’s memory, from 4-6 p.m. ET Sept. 29. The event is open only to members of the racing community and invited media, but fans can watch via live streaming on IndyCar.com.